Registration is now open until 15th of May 2021. Click here to apply
The Medical Education & Research Department provides medical education, training, and professional research and development opportunities to health care professionals in the UAE. The Medical Education Section has established the Dubai Residency Training Program (DRTP) in 2006, the specific vision is to bridge the gap between university medical qualification and medical professional practices.
The program provides a carefully designed learning platform where residents are trained and evaluated continuously for the development of their skills. In addition, residents are able to progress consistently in their responsibilities and independent practice in accordance with their level of knowledge and personal well-being under the guidance of health care consultants with high qualifications and experience.
Eligibility & Selection Criteria
Prospective candidates are expected to meet the standards determined by Medical Education Section to progress through the selection process for yearly intakes, as per the following conditions:
- Successfully passing the Pre-Entry Exam (EMREE)* held at UAE University in Al Ain prior to apply to DRTP.
- Duration since Internship until application to DRTP should not exceed 4 years.
- A recognized internship program of a minimum one-year duration, conditionally, that the period between bachelors and the internship should not exceed 12 months
Applicants must be graduates from Medical schools listed under World Health Organization (WHO), Refer to
- Duration since Bachelors until application to DRTP should not exceed 5 years.
- Candidates should not have been out of clinical practice for more than 12 months at any point.
- English language Proficiency Certificate (TOEFL=550 or above/ IELTS Academic = 6 or above.)
- Attestation of Medical Degree, Transcripts & Internship Certificates for those issued inside UAE is to be undertaken from Ministry of Education.
- Attestation of Medical Degree, Transcripts & Internship Certificates for those issued outside UAE is to be undertaken from:
- UAE Embassy of the issuing country and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Dubai
- Ministry of Education in UAE
- Personal Identification Proof (Passport, Emirates ID, etc.)
* Emirates Medical Residency Entrance Examination (EMREE)
The Pre-Entry Exam (EMREE) is conducted by the College of Medicine & Health Sciences (CMHS) at UAE University - Al Ain. Exams are held during the months of December, January, February & March. Registration to the exam should be completed online on the UAE University webpage at
For all enquiries about EMREE (requirements, registration, rules and dates), please contact the following:
Registration & Acceptance Process
Online registrations are typically open between the months of February & March of every year, over a period of 30 days. Announcement for the same will be posted on the DHA website.
An online payment of AED620 + VAT is applicable, which is all-inclusive (registration, processing and handling charges) payable via credit card: MasterCard, VISA, visa electron, etc. Additional transaction fees may be applicable.
- EMREE exam result and GPA will be a part of registration and acceptance criteria.
- Obtaining a high score in Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) and Specialty Interview are essential factor for shortlisting process
- Some specialties may offered to Non-UAE Nationals as a second choice in line with criteria ascertained by the evaluation committee.
Following the above, the DRTP team undertakes the credential process for applicants on one to one basis. Thereafter a committee will review applications and shortlists candidates to move on to the next stage.
Shortlisting & Interview
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an assessment through conducting Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI). The Interview uses many short independent assessments, typically in a timed circuit, to obtain an aggregate score of each candidate's soft skills.
Meanwhile, the applicants are also required initiate the process of having their certificates (Bachelors & Internship) verified by applying for Primary Source Verification (PSV). Access the below link to study the PSV process:
for any related enquiries about PSV, please contact email@example.com
Recruitment into DRTP
Selected Residents will be asked to initiate their recruitment process with HR. During this time, it is essential that the PSV report is ready. Failure to have a PSV report will stop the recruitment process.
For each yearly intake, DHA lists specific specialties according to the availability of the training vacancies and the future needs in each specialty.
During the application process, candidates are eligible to select two options from the below listed specialties. Some specialties are open only for UAE nationals, however, some of these specialties can be selected as 2nd option for all nationalities. The available options will be listed in step No. 7 of the online application.
|Family Medicine (UAE Nationals Only)
|Neurosurgery (UAE Nationals Only)
||Obstetrics & Gynecology
|Ortho & Trauma Surgery (UAE Nationals Only)
DRTP Contact Information:
Location: Medical Education and Research Department – Dubai Health Authority https://goo.gl/maps/HBHkrBtqWQVFEPAC6
Dental Residency and Internship Programs:
DHA also offers Dental Residency and Internship programs, for more information, please visit the below links:
Dental Internship Program
Dental Residency Program
DUBAI RESIDENCY TRAINING PROGRAM (DRTP) - 2021