Which food contain high iron?
1: Foods rich in iron include:
2: What treatment is available for Thalassemia?
- Red meat and poultry.
- Dark green leafy vegetables, such as spinach.
- Dried fruit, such as raisins and apricots.
- Iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas.
- Regular blood transfusion every 3 to 4 weeks.
- Chelation therapy to reduce iron overload
- Bone marrow transplantation from fully matched compatible donor.
3: I Want to know about Bone Marrow transplantation (BMT)?
Bone marrow transplant is a procedure to replace destroyed bone marrow with healthy bone marrow stem cells. The bone marrow produces blood cells. Stem cells are immature cells in the bone marrow that give rise to all of your different blood cells.
4: What are the main signs of Thalassemia patients?
Children born with Thalassemia major usually develop symptom of severe anemia within the first year of life. Symptoms may appear as they grow:
- Paleness of the skin
- Poor Appetite
- Bone deformity
- Failure to drive
- Delayed puberty