WHY DONATE BLOOD?
You don't need a reason to donate blood. It is in you to give it voluntarily. Give the gift to life.
Your donation will make a difference and each donation can save 3-4 patients.
WHO GIVES BLOOD?
Most healthy people between the ages 18 to 65 may be eligible to be first-time whole blood donors. See eligibility criteria.
IS IT SAFE TO GIVE BLOOD?
Blood donation is very safe; you cannot get any diseases from donating blood. All materials & supplies used to collect blood are new, sterile & disposable, and used only once. Qualified & certified team will assist you & ensure your safety during donation.
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF DONATIONS AVAILABLE?
- Whole Blood Donation (Single Unit)
- Double Red Cells Donation
- Platelets Apheresis Donation
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GIVE BLOOD?
It usually takes around 50-60 minutes to donate whole blood, 60-80 minutes to donate platelets by Apheresis and 60 to 70 minutes to donate Double red cells.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR DONATION?
You should be in good health & feeling well on the day of donation & you need to have had a good sleep the previous night. Refer to Eligibility for Donation & post donation instructions.
PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENT:
- Blood donors should show an ID issued from UAE. Like an Emirates ID. A Person on a visit visa & transit visa to the UAE are not eligible to give blood as per Federal Health Regulation.
- Blood donor should be in good general health condition at the time of blood donation.
- Blood donors should be between the ages 18 - 65.
- Blood donors should not weight less than 50 Kg.
- Blood pressure should be between 60/100 to 100/160 mm Hg.
- Donor's pulse rate should be between 60-100 pulse/minute.
- Donor's body temperature should not be more than 37.5° C.
- It is not recommended for pregnant and lactating women to donate blood for the sake of her and her baby's health.
HOW OFTEN CAN A PERSON GIVE BLOOD?
Mostly healthy people can make whole blood donations every 56 days. The success of the blood program depends on regular blood donation by healthy voluntary individuals. Eligible donors can make Platelet Apheresis every 2 weeks while the Double Red Cell donation is every 16 weeks.
ARE ALL BLOOD TYPES NEEDED?
All blood types are needed. Regular donations from donors helps in meeting the needs of hospitals for blood and blood products.