Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Section
The physical Medicine & Rehabilitation section delivers a wide range of rehabilitation services to critically ill, acute, trauma, neurological, burn & post-surgical cases in the in-patient and outpatients set-up of Rashid hospital. The department is committed in providing the latest evidence- based treatment approaches to attain patient-centered goal-oriented outcomes.
PMR section is one of the prominent rehabilitation sections in Dubai, which provides comprehensive multidisciplinary care. The department is a recipient of Sheikh Hamdan award (2008) for the outstanding clinical service unit. PMR section receives referrals from peripheral clinics, in – house (RH), other DHA hospitals & external referrals from other UAE based hospitals.
To deliver a holistic, multidisciplinary and individual approach to patients, in need of rehabilitation, with the aim of helping them, to achieve the highest level of functional independence & quality of life.
Medical investigation & treatment
Sports & exercise medicine
OPD rehabilitation plan & program
Pelvic floor rehabilitation
Lymphedema/ Lipedema Treatment (Complete Decongestive Therapy)
Driving Assessment service
PMR Main Units:
Physical Medicine Clinics
We provide outpatient services to National and Non-National residents of Dubai & all other emirates. Clinics in PMR section functions 5 days per week (Sun-Thu).
Sport Medicine Clinic
We provide outpatient services to National and Non-National residents of Dubai & all other emirates. Clinics in PMR section functions 2 days per week (Monday & Wednesday).
Physiotherapy is a health care profession concerned with human function and movement and maximizing potential. Physiotherapy addresses problems with movement, dysfunction and pain. These can arise from musculoskeletal, neurological, respiratory and chronic disability conditions or from mental illness and intellectual impairment.
The aim of Physiotherapy is to restore proper functioning to the body. As well as treating a specific injury or illness, the physiotherapist will also consider ways to improve general well-being and quality of life. Physiotherapists take a holistic approach to an injury or disease.
Conditions commonly treated by physiotherapist but not restricted to, as follows:
- Musculoskeletal injuries like frozen shoulder, tendinitis, labral tear, repetitive stress injuries, low back pains, degenerative joint pains
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Sports injury rehabilitation
- Post-fracture rehabilitation
- Pain relief using electrotherapy modalities including interferential therapy, cervical-lumbar traction, wax therapy, tens, ultrasound, electrical muscle stimulation
- Chronic pain management, taping, relaxation techniques
- Women's health
- Trauma cases
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Burn rehabilitation
Complete Decongestive Therapy
Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) is a two-phase program that consists of Phase I (treatment phase) and Phase II (maintenance phase) for the management of lymphedema/lipedema conditions. Phase I lasts 2-6 weeks of treatment on daily basis (5 times per week). Phase II consists of life-long self-care to maintain the size of the limb. The main components of CDT: Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD), Compression bandaging, Remedial exercises, meticulous skin & nail care and instructions on self-care.
Occupational therapy Unit
Occupational Therapy is a health care profession based on knowledge that purposeful activity can promote health and well-being in all aspects of life. The aim is to promote, develop, restore and maintain abilities needed to cope with daily activities to prevent dysfunction. Program designed to facilitate maximum use of function to meet the demands of person's working, social, personal and domestic environment. The essential feature of occupational therapy is the active involvement of person in therapeutic process.
Occupational therapy helps to regain the skills to the highest possible level of independence in life after an illness or injury.
Occupational Therapist work to improve upper limb function through therapeutic exercises and activities to increase range of motion, strength and co-ordination to help people with their daily living tasks which includes self-care, independence with assistive devices and adaptive techniques, home management , work skills, functional mobility and leisure activities.
We treat adults with variety of diagnosis like stroke, Traumatic brain injuries and neurological conditions, upper limb trauma and various hand conditions, work related injuries, spinal cord injuries, arthritis, amputation and Burns
We provide assessment and rehabilitation in following areas:
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Cognitive/visual perceptual training
- Spinal cord injury rehabilitation
- Burn rehabilitation
- Hand therapy
- Daily living task training
- Custom splint fabrication and ready-made splinting facility for patients undergoing occupational therapy treatment.
We also provide comprehensive clinical and vehicle driving evaluations for new and old drivers. Following the driving evaluation we provide necessary treatment and make appropriate recommendations to facilitate return to safe driving
Future Plan: To provide functional capacity evaluation to assess an individual's capacity to perform work activities related to his or her participation in employment.
Custom design and fabrication of life like restorative prostheses such as artificial eyes, facial prostheses, breast prostheses, finger, toe, partial hand gloves, and foot prostheses. Patients are referred by surgeons for interim or definitive prostheses when further reconstructive surgery has been postponed or ruled out due to contra indications. Loss or absence of external body parts may be due to trauma, disease, surgery, or birth defects.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department - Rashid Hospital, Dubai "Hamdan Award for an Outstanding Clinical Department in the Public Sector in UAE 2007-2008"
- Ms. Hemlata Khadse-Senior Occupational Therapist received "Distinguished Multidisciplinary Team Award for Occupational Health and Staff Safety project in Rashid Hospital Excellence Award Program 2011"
- Mr. Daril Atkins Senior Anaplastologist) received "Humanitarian Award" from the International Anaplastology Association in February 2011
- Mr. Daril Atkins- Senior Anaplastologist OSCAR winner for the documentary film short story "Saving Face" in 2012
- PMR department organized the 1st DHA symposium on Stroke Rehabilitation in 2013
- Ms. Hemlata Khadse-Senior Occupational Therapist received Appreciation award for participation in the 17th Dubai Govt. Excellence Program 2014
- PMR department received Appreciation award for participation in GITEX 2014
Sunday to Thursday - 7:30 - 14:30
+971 4 219 2560
+971 4 219 256