The Clinical Laboratory of Rashid Hospital provides comprehensive diagnostic laboratory procedures 24 hours 7 days a week. The laboratory develops & implements "best practice" & scientific techniques for a better health care services. Phlebotomy service is provided to inpatients and outpatients as well as patients attending Accident/Emergency Department.
The laboratory department has built up their own laboratory unit in the Trauma Centre, that act as a STAT lab to provide an accurate, quick relevant service to patients attending accident emergency. Samples are transferred between the main lab& trauma lab in a pneumatic tube system.
|Main service||Main service description|
Hematology and Transfusion services
- Manual WBC differentials, blood film studies, Sickling test, ESR, Malaria and Microfilaria testing, G6PD qualitative screening
- Review the abnormal blood films
- Bone marrow biopsies and Flow cytometry
- Coagulation and Haemostasis Studies: Screening, Factor Deficiency studies and Thrombophilia screening, lupus anticoagulant testing.
- Consultative Lymphoma Services
- The unit receives donated blood and blood products which have been fully tested at DBDC.
- ABO Grouping, RH Typing, Direct and indirect Coomb's Test, Antibody Identification, Cross Matching
Microbiology and infectious control unit
- Bacteriological analysis for the different samples that include, urine, blood, stool, CSF and all other body fluids. Microscopy for stool parasites
- Superficial Mycology for dermatological samples (hair, nail and skin).
- Full range of Infectious diseases serology which include the following tests: HIV, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, Hepatitis A,VDRL, TPHA, FTA for syphilis, ASO, Brucella by latex test, VIDAL, Mono test, and RA factor.
- Routine chemistry tests, Cardiac Enzymes, Troponin, Lipids, LFT, HbA1C, Procalcitonin, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, Lead, therapeutic/abused drugs, Blood gas.
- POCT- The unit oversees the bedside testing services offering tests such as Glucose, Blood gas, Electrolyte and urine analysis
- It is designed to be a general laboratory. It consists of Blood Bank section, Biochemistry, Hematology section, receiving and phlebotomy area.
Supportive services unit
- The department provides 24 hour Phlebotomy service in three shifts including weekends and other public holidays both for inpatients and outpatients.
- Inpatients blood samples are collected using the 'Clinical Collect' system and after receiving them in LIS the samples are distributed to the concerned laboratory sections.
- Outpatient blood samples are collected at the Laboratory OPD.
- The TB unit provides a centralized Myobacteria & Legionella laboratory services for all DHA hospitals, Clinics & Police Clinic in addition to private sector and Ministry of health hospital when requested
|Send out services|
- All tests that are not done in DHA are sent centrally through RH Laboratory to the referral labs; Bioscientia (Germany) and NRL (USA)