The Department of Urology was established with the inception of the Dubai Hospital in 1984. The vision of the Department of Urology is to provide state-of-the-art management of urological disorders to the community, unparalleled in the region, and the mission of the department is to ensure that such management is provided promptly and efficiently.
The radiological services include
· Intravenous Urography (IVU) and Micturating Cystourethrogram (MCU)
· CT Scans (including helical CT)
· Nuclear medicine investigations (DMSA, EC, cystograms and bone scans)
· Urodynamics investigations are performed routinely
Surgical treatment options - the department provides minimally invasive surgical (MIS) procedures including;
· Ureteroscopy and Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy for urinary stones.
· Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (ESWL)
· Transurethral Resection (TUR) for prostatic diseases and bladder tumours, using both the conventional electrical diathermy and the Holmium: YAG laser
· Laparoscopy was introduced in 2002 for nephrectomy and varicocelectomy and is being expanded to include procedures such as ureterolithotomy and pyeloplasty
· Andrology clinic: surgical treatment of erectile dysfunction.
· 3D printing technology for pre-operative planning in renal cancer.
· Surgical treatment of prostate cancer: Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy.
· Surgical treatment of urethral stricture: urethroplasty.