The Executing Regulation of Administrative Order No.(317) of 2006 concerning authentication of Sick Leave Certificates issued by the Private Healthcare Facility
- Issued Sick Leave Certificates (SLC) by physician/Dentist licensed to practice profession by DHA in Dubai private sector are authenticated by Licensing and Specification Department.
- Sick Leave Certificates shall be authenticated electronically (online) and can't be authenticated through personal attendance to DHA.
- Third: Professional authorities to grant sick leave certificates will be as follows:
General Practitioner/Registrar/Dentist (3 days at maximum)
Specialist/Consultant (14 days only)
Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) practitioner e.g. Ayurveda Practitioner, Homeopathic Practitioner cannot issue sick leave for their patient, and accordingly such facilities shall not have access to the current electronic sick leave system
CAM professionals with medical degree i.e. Medical Doctor with Ayurveda degree or Medical Doctor with Homeopathy degree can issue sick leaves for their patients 3 days sick leave at maximum.
- In case the duration of sick leave issued by Specialist/Consultant extends for more than 14 days, a brief medical report, clarifying reasons of such leave, should be forwarded to Health Regulation Department for approval consideration.
The maximum duration of sick leave shall, by no means, exceeds 3 months for each authentication application.
Health Regulation Department (HRD) shall take over the following responsibilities:
1. Follow up the authentication application of SLC that exceeds 14 days. Accept or amend any application as per medical standards (after consulting DHA consultant). Should there be any amendment; medical justifications must be attached. The application must be approved by Licensing and Specification Director before informing the relevant person.
2. Follow up and audit the sick certificates issued by the private healthcare sector, and issue periodical statistical reports in this regard.
3. Derive periodic indicators to identify the parties that issue the largest proportion of SLC, in order to ensure the seriousness/rightfulness of these certificates. If it transpires that a SLC was issued without rightful justification, the rules of DHA Regulation of Medical Violations and Financial Fines shall apply.
Sick leave certificates issued retroactively may be authenticated if issued only for one day, at maximum, before the application date.
No authentication of SLC can be done for facility or physician/dentist whose licenses, at the date of application, are not renewed for more than 6 months.
Sick leave certificates issued by professional who license is temporarily suspended can't be authenticated.
Sick leave certificates issued to the escort/accompanying of a patient for treatment is not considered as SLC (e.g. mother accompanying her son for hospital admission).
SLC can be issued and authenticated by healthcare facility even though the transactions are suspended for any reason, provided facility license is not temporarily suspended.
Professionals may grant a sick leave certificates at: